The third season of Grey's Anatomy premiered on September 21, 2006 and ended on May 17, 2007. Unlike the two previous seasons, it was broadcast on Thursday nights on 9 PM on ABC. The season consists of 25 episodes.
They are doctors, lovers, and friends. Join the staff of Seattle Grace Hospital as they learn there are no easy cures for life's challenges and that each choice comes in shades of gray. More secrets, more personal stories, and many more McSteamy moments.
- ABC announced on July 18, 2006 that the third season would premiere on September 21, 2006.
- This season is part of the intern year.
- Seasons 1, 2 and 3 make up a year.
- This season takes place from January 2007 to mid-June 2007.
- Addison is 39.
- There is a 17 day gap between seasons 3 and 4.
- Izzie deals with Denny's death.
- Meredith drowning and coming back to life.
- Ellis dies.
- Derek and Meredith's relationship.
- Derek and Addison's divorce.
- Mark Sloan's return.
- Burke's hand after he gets shot.
- George's father dying.
- Callie knowing Derek and Meredith slept together.
- George finding out Mark and Callie slept together.
- George and Callie's relationship.
- Derek finding out more about Mark and Addison's relationship after he leaves New York.
- Addison finding out that Meredith and Derek slept together.
- Alex slept with Addison.
- Alex's relationship with Rebecca.
- Addison leaves to go to Los Angeles.
- George and Callie's marriage.
- George cheating on Callie with Izzie.
- Callie finding out about Izzie's relationship with George.
- Meredith's love triangle with Derek and Finn.
- Derek's flirtation with Lexie.
- Burke and Cristina's secret involving his hand.
- Burke and Cristina's engagement.
- Burke leaving Cristina at the alter.
- Derek realizing that he loves Meredith and also has and always will.
- Ellen Pompeo as Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Cristina Yang
- Katherine Heigl as Izzie Stevens
- Justin Chambers as Alex Karev
- T.R. Knight as George O'Malley
- Chandra Wilson as Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Richard Webber
- Kate Walsh as Addison Forbes Montgomery
- Sara Ramirez as Callie Torres
- Eric Dane as Mark Sloan
- Isaiah Washington as Preston Burke
- Patrick Dempsey as Derek Shepherd
Special Guest Edit
- Chris O'Donnell as Finn Dandridge
- Fred Ward as Dennison Duquette, Sr.
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Denny Duquette, Jr.
- Kyle Chandler as Dylan Young
- Paul Adelstein as Cooper Freedman
- Amy Brenneman as Violet Turner
- Tim Daly as Peter Wilder
- Taye Diggs as Sam Bennett
- Merrin Dungey as Naomi Bennett
- Chris Lowell as Dell Parker
Recurring Guest Edit
- Loretta Devine as Adele Webber
- Sarah Utterback as Olivia Harper
- Steven W. Bailey as Joe
- Robin Pearson Rose as Patricia
- Kate Burton as Ellis Grey
- Diahann Carroll as Jane Burke
- George Dzundza as Harold O'Malley
- Kali Rocha as Sydney Heron
- Jack Yang as Walter
- Greg Pitts as Jerry O'Malley
- Tim Griffin as Ronny O'Malley
- Brooke Smith as Erica Hahn
- Debra Monk as Louise O'Malley
- Mandy Siegfried as Molly Thompson
- Mare Winningham as Susan Grey
- Jeff Perry as Thatcher Grey
- Mae Whitman as Heather Douglas
- Judith Hoag as Rhada Douglas
- Elizabeth Reaser as Rebecca Pope
- Dean Norris as Vince
- Kelly Wolf as Carly Height
- Paul Perri as Rick's Friend
- Anna Maria Horsford as Elizabeth Fallon
- Monica Keena as Bonnie Crasnoff
- Roger Rees as Colin Marlow
- Hector Elizondo as Carlos Torres
- Mitch Pileggi as Larry Jennings
- Bellamy Young as Kathy
- Raphael Sbarge as Paul
- Stephanie Niznik as Carol
- Tsai Chin as Helen Rubenstein
- David Anders as Jim
- Becky Wahlstrom as Lisa
- Cameron Watson as Rick
- Gary Hershberger as Doug
- Aasha Davis as Rina
- Kevin Rankin as Jack Vaughan
- Brian Tee as Andy Meltzer
- Derek Phillips as Dale Winick
- Chyler Leigh as Lexie Grey
Prominent Guest Edit
- Embeth Davidtz as Nancy Shepherd
- Shavon Kirksey as Maya Bennett
- Parisa Fitz-Henley as Cami Davis
- Jason London as Jeff Pope
- Abigail Breslin as Megan Clover
- Alexandra Billings as Donna Dibson
- Jeremy Rabb as Jeremy Bennett
- Wayne Lopez as Paramedic
- Moe Irvin as Tyler Christian
- Zibby Allen as Nurse Zibby
- Brooke Blanchard as Jill Hale
- Linda Eve Miller as Nurse Melanie
- Linda Klein as Nurse Linda
- Paula Weston Solano as Nurse
- Kate Anthony as Nurse Kate
- Patricia Bethune as Nurse Ginger
- Yvette Cruise as Nurse
- Martin Yu as Resident
- Jack Axelrod as Charlie Yost
- Ray Ford as Ray Sutera
- John O'Brien as Tech Jeffrey
- Elaine Kao as NICU Nurse
- Joyce Guy as Ms. Henry
- Maile Flanagan as Lab Tech
- Jeffrey Markle as Greg
- Billy Mayo as Rick
- Brian Chenoweth as Scared Guy
- Danielle Kennedy as Angry Woman
- Paul Norwood as Scared Guy #2
- Madison Leisle as Lisa
- Yvans Jourdain as Businessman
- Terrance Christopher Jones as Paramedic
- Nicole Cummins-Rubio as Paramedic Nicole Cummins
- Shenita Moore as Nurse
- Mac Brandt as Paramedic
- Tim Chiou as Paramedic
- Billy Wood as Perfusionist
- Rob Narita as Anesthesiologist
- Mary Joy as Tilly
- Garon Grigsby as Keith
- Candice Afia as Laura
- Joseph Williamson as Pierce Halley
|Time Has Come Today||September 21, 2006||37||3.01|
|Izzie copes with the loss of Denny and her decision to leave the internship program. Meredith faces decisions about her future after her liaison with Derek.|
|I Am a Tree||September 28, 2006||38||3.02|
|Cristina meets Burke's parents. The interns campaign for Izzie's reinstatement. Addison takes a break from her hospital duties. A surgical patient lives what may be her last day to the fullest.|
|Sometimes a Fantasy||October 5, 2006||39||3.03|
|Cristina helps Preston cope with his hand tremor. Izzie returns to the hospital for the first time since she quit the program.|
|What I Am||October 12, 2006||40||3.04|
|Addison doubts her abilities. Cristina pushes Burke's rehabilitation. An intern suffers a medical emergency.|
|Oh, the Guilt||October 19, 2006||41||3.05|
|Bailey treats a young mother battling great cancer and Derek learns more about Mark and Addison's relationship.|
|Let the Angels Commit||November 2, 2006||42||3.06|
|Cristina draws the envy of the other doctors when she scrubs in for a special procedure.|
|Where the Boys Are||November 9, 2006||43||3.07|
|The men of Seattle Grace go on a camping trip, and Meredith assists with a procedure Sloan has never experienced.|
|Staring at the Sun||November 16, 2006||44||3.08|
|The O'Malley family visits George at the hospital. Meredith determines to have a more positive outlook on life.|
|From a Whisper to a Scream||November 23, 2006||45||3.09|
|A traumatic car accident fills the ER, and Cristina has a crisis of conscience about her deceptive teamwork with Burke.|
|Don't Stand So Close to Me||November 30, 2006||46||3.10|
|Recent events strain Burke and Cristina's relationship, and Meredith's half-sister enters the hospital.|
|Six Days (Part 1)||January 11, 2007||47||3.11|
|George's father has surgery for his cancer. Thatcher Grey arrives to see his new granddaughter. Meredith finds that Derek has trouble sleeping.|
|Six Days (Part 2)||January 18, 2007||48||3.12|
|Mark is furious with Addison. George's father continues to recover after his surgery.|
|Great Expectations||January 25, 2007||49||3.13|
|Bailey proposes the creation of a free clinic. A Seattle Grace doctor receives a proposal.|
|Wishin' and Hopin'||February 1, 2007||50||3.14|
|The doctors compete for Richard's affections, and a surgical patient endangers the lives of those around her.|
|Walk on Water||February 8, 2007||51||3.15|
|A ferryboat accident on triage training day tests the interns.|
|Drowning on Dry Land||February 15, 2007||52||3.16|
|Meredith's friends and fellow doctors work to save her life after her near-drowning.|
|Some Kind of Miracle||February 22, 2007||53||3.17|
|Meredith flatlines and gets a visit from Denny and Dylan in the afterlife. Derek works to bring her back from the brink.|
|Scars and Souvenirs||March 15, 2007||54||3.18|
|The race for chief heats up as a new competitor comes forward, and Callie must reveal a big secret.|
|My Favorite Mistake||March 22, 2007||55||3.19|
|George meets his father-in-law, Alex helps Jane Doe determine how the world will see her, and Izzie wrestles with a startling revelation.|
|Time After Time||April 19, 2007||56||3.20|
|Izzie faces her past and finds comfort in George. Alex has an attachment to Jane Doe, and Meredith and Derek question their status.|
|Desire||April 26, 2007||57||3.21|
|Everyone is extra-attentive to a patient who is the chairman of the hospital board. Cristina helps Burke plan the wedding.|
|The Other Side of This Life (Part 1)||May 3, 2007||58||3.22|
|Addison takes a temporary leave from Seattle Grace and visits old friends in Los Angeles.|
|The Other Side of This Life (Part 2)||May 3, 2007||59||3.23|
|Addison takes a temporary leave from Seattle Grace and visits old friends in Los Angeles. Cristina continues - reluctantly - to plan her wedding.|
|Testing 1-2-3||May 10, 2007||60||3.24|
|The interns take their first-year medical exams, and the residents tend to three injured mountain climbers.|
|Didn't We Almost Have It All?||May 17, 2007||61||3.25|
|Cristina and Burke's wedding day arrives. The interns get their exam results. Callie and George make a decision about their relationship.|